Saturday, October 25, 2008

Gherkin Gherkin

Who knew that Vlasic makes "No Sugar Added" sweet pickles sweetened with Splenda?

Photobucket


I picked these little babies up at the grocery store last week and finally popped the jar open last night to enjoy a couple. My observations?

If you're a Splenda enthusiast and tend to enjoy sucralose in all its forms, then these pickles may be a dream come true for you. For me, however, I find that Splenda functions differently on my taste buds in different foods, and the experience of eating these pickles was a little like that of drinking diet soda.

My reaction was not pleasant. Pickles are not supposed to have an aftertaste! I think I'll stick to dills.

2 comments:

gharkness said...

While I haven't noticed an aftertaste, I HAVE noticed a big LACK of taste. The first bite of these Splenda-sweetened pickles is pretty good, but after that, it's all downhill.

After being so glad to find these, I discover they are just taking up room in my fridge.

Tracey said...

Yeah, I agree with the first bite thing. First bite, and I thought, "just like a regular sweet pickle!" But overall, disappointing. A good idea, but not fully successful.

I should mention that my mom loved them. I think I can give my jar to her so that they don't take up room in my fridge.